Friday, October 19, 2012

Genealogy 101: Assess Where You Are

The first thing I do with a new missionary (I train new Family and Church History Headquarters Mission missionaries) I do an assesment with them:

1- What do you want to accomplish while you are in training and in the mission. (OK, so what do you want to accomplish?)

2-  I figure out where they are in experience. It's ok to be a rookie. Even those with experience are unlikely to know FamilySearch Family Tree.

3- I print out a chart of their first four generations of their ancestors. (See mine below) You can do this manually on a piece of paper or on a computer generated chart. There are several records management software programs that will easily do that. I'll review that separately. We cannot promote a business so we don't promote one of the excellent commercial products. The church currently offers a free program that has a lot of features called PAF. You can download that here. It is not going to be supported forever, but right now it works fine. https://familysearch.org/products

All of these programs will print a pedigree chart. It is one of the reasons  you might want a desktop genealogy file management software. I used PAF which you can download for free at this website: https://familysearch.org/products

No comments:

Post a Comment