Saturday, April 28, 2012

Who Took My Mother & Aunt To Electa Elizabeth Porter?

<><> <><>
Nancy Athena Porter and spouse, Thomas Perez Salinas
Nancy and Thomas Salinas
Not long before my grandmother, Nancy Athena Porter died her two children were taken to live with their grandmother: Electa Elizabeth Porter. She was only 44 years old.

The daughters were Bertha and Gloria.

Nancy and her husband Thomas Salinas were living in Burley, Idaho. Thomas was unable to give proper care to the girls. He spent much of his time running sheep crews in Montana and other places.

I know that one of Nancy's siblings came from Porterville, Utah to Burley not long before our grandmother passed away to live with Electa.

I am trying to determine which of her siblings this was. I am hoping that someday this article is found by a relative that might have buried somewhere in one of their family histories some details of this event. 
I know it must have been heart wrenching to all: Thomas, Nancy, Bertha, Gloria, and Nancy's brother or sister. I believe it was one of her brothers, and perhaps his wife that brought the girls back to Porterville. Gloria, who later married David Huff was only 4 years old and Bertha was a young teen of fourteen. Bertha later married Royal Cragun, Electa died in 1942, Bertha was married to Royal and Gloria came to live with them. 

So I ask, if you are a descendant or relative of Nancy's brothers or sisters: Marlow Rich Porter  (1877-1964),   Nellie Electa Porter  (1879-1881),  May Porter  (1882-1882), Bertha Mariah Porter  (1883-1965, Nathaniel Victor Porter  (1888-1959),   Joseph Irvin Porter  (1894-1974), or  Mary Viola Porter  (1897-1993) please be aware of my request and perhaps you might help me put more pieces of my grandmothers life's story together.

I have also been searching for a journal of either Nancy Athena Porter or her mother Electa. I have been told that these journals do exist but I cannot locate them.

PS: If you come across any information on my grandmothers life I would appreciate you letting me know. Thanks

3 comments:

  1. I think part of this paragraph is missing:

    "I know that one of Nancy's siblings came from Porterville, Utah to Burley not long before our grandmother passed away to live with Electa."

    ReplyDelete
  2. From mother's writing: "The first two months of High School were at Burley High. At that time my mother had me go to Porterville as a companion to Grandma and within a month she died (mother) and I continued my schooling at Morgan High where I graduated. May 1935."

    No mention of how she got there.

    ReplyDelete