Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Don't Disinherit Your Children


Will, page 2

In researching my Cragun ancestors I came across some facts that brought home a sad memory. I found that one of my great grandmothers father disinherited her and her sister (John Amick). I find that she had joined the early Mormon church but her sister didn't. I have yet to find more detail on why.

My point in simple terms has nothing to do with the size of the inheritance, rather the insult it delivers. It's as if you the child didn't exist.

You were their parent. They did exist. That's it.

Here is a piece of the John Amick story (and other Amicks) by Jerry Mower a 3rd Great Grandson and a link to his Amick website.


I, John Amick of Monroe township being of sound mind and memory thanks be to God, do make and publish this my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all former wills by me at any time heretofore made and First I direct that my body be decently interred in the burying ground of the Clear Ridge Meeting House in the said township according to the rules and ceremonies of the said Church and that my funeral be conducted in a manner corresponding with my estate and situation in life. And as to such worldly estate as it hath pleased God to entrust me with I dispose of the same as follows: .......... It is my will that my son John Amick and John Martin Esq. Exec of this my last will and testament. Signed 21 day of May 1843. John Amick his mark X
We can learn some interesting things about the make up of John Amick's family as it stood on 21 May 1843. We know through this will that daughter Mary, who had just joined the Mormon Church was basically disinherited. Why Susannah was disinherited I do not know as she did not join with the Mormons.

No comments:

Post a Comment